1. Stay put and stay calm. One of the worst things you can do is leave the scene.
2. Move to a safe place, out of the flow of traffic.
3. Call law enforcement. Proper legal documentation is helpful for even small accidents.
4. Discuss the accident ONLY with the police and your insurance company. Fault will be determined by investigations
5. Record personal information about everyone involved – drivers, passengers, witnesses and even law enforcement officers. Be prepared for this! It is easy to forget things in stressful situations.
Click here for an example. Print this form and keep it in your glove box with a pen.
6. If your vehicle is drivable, come in to see us as soon as possible. Driving a damaged vehicle is dangerous and often causes more damage. If your vehicle is not driveable, have it towed to our shop. 7469 49 AVE Crescent, Red Deer AB.
7. Call your insurance company to report the accident. Have the information you recorded at the scene handy. Tell them Scotts180 Collision
is completing your repairs and give them our phone number. 403-356-6847.
Hints for Insurance Repairs:
1. One estimate is all you need for insurance repairs. If you get multiple estimates, they will vary. Be sure that lower estimates are not a result of lower quality parts, unskilled labour, or outdated technology. You have the right to quality repairs. Your vehicle should be safe and beautiful as it was before your accident.
2. Only the owner of a vehicle can authorize repairs. You have the right to choose which repair shop will do the work. Keep in mind that your insurance company DOES have the right to inspect the damages before you have them repaired.
3. Your insurance company provides a service to you, the policy holder. Their claims team wants you to be satisfied. To help them and yourself, follow the proper procedures for making a claim. Read your insurance policy. Ask questions about anything you don’t understand. Advocate for your rights.